Friday, September 6, 2013

Is this awkward or??

Writing my first blog post ever and I don't quite know how I feel about it...

        This feels like a first date with the really long awkward pauses, scanning the surrounding environment to avoid eye contact, and yes, even the occasional forced laugh. If you've never experienced a first date like so, consider yourself lucky. I have and I still have nightmares about it to this day. So I guess since I'm the topic of First Dates I will proceed writing this post like I'm actually on a date. (weird concept..I know)

First things first, Hello I'm Vanessa and it's a pleasure to meet you.
Like every typical teenager I couldn't wait until I graduated from high school to go out and explore the vast wonders of the world. Luckily for me, I was blessed with the tremendous opportunity to attend a private Christian University in Indiana on a full tuition scholarship. My first semester of college was full of laughter, late nights, LOADS of coffee, junk food, and stress. My dorm floor was full of wonderful girls who became my best friends in literally days. Because I lived in Texas all my life my asthma wasn't a problem...that was until I was introduced to my first real winter. The cold triggered my asthma to the point where I had 6 mini asthma attacks in 3 days,and had a massive asthma attack in the shower a few days later. While my friends were beginning their 2nd semester I was on a plane headed home.

What's ironic is that as soon as I landed in Texas, my chest muscles instantly relaxed and my wheezing had disappeared two days later. I spent my entire spring semester on medication trying to nurse my lungs back to health so I could return to my 2nd home. But it seemed like every time I was on the verge of feeling 100% some other health issue came up. When August rolled around, I was on 12 different medications that I had to take daily in order to return to uni. I was personally not a fan of medicines and all the horrible side effects I constantly felt, I put my big girl pants on and made the heartbreaking decision to give up my scholarship and focus on my health instead.


So, this is why I'm here typing away on a lonely boring Friday night as if I'm on a first date, cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment